Enter Keyword - Search usalights.com
Home | Lighthouse Map | South Carolina | Hunting Island

Do you have additional information?... CLICK HERE
.
Lighthouse History

Built: 1875

Type: Conical Tower

Height: 136 feet

Status: Non Active

Location: Northern Hunting Island

Deactivated: 1933

Lens: Second Order Fresnel

Signal: Bell

Keepers:

Notes: Construction started in 1859, but was set back as the tower was destroyed during the Civil War in 1862. Major George H. Elliot is credited with the 1860s development of what is known as the "segmented cast-iron" light house design. In the United States, two were constructed: the Hunting Island Lighthouse and subsequently Florida's Cape Canaveral Light House.
Hunting Island's Lighthouse was designed to be disassembled and moved if required. It consists of cast-iron sections, each weighing up to 1200 pounds which are bolted together to form the shell. the shell is lined with brick, which constitutes the main load-bearing structural element. Erection commenced in 1873, and was completed in 1875. With its 167 steps that lead to an impressive observation deck, the Hunting Island Lighthouse has handsomely built cast and wrought iron staircase, railings and support beams that were fashioned by the Phoenix Iron Works company of Philadelphia. The Lighthouse was first located on the northern portion of Hunting Island, South Carolina, but severe beach erosion threatened the light station and its structures. By 1888 it was reported that the Atlantic Ocean's high tide had reached within 35 feet of the keeper's house. As a result, the Lighthouse, the keeper's home and two other structures were relocated a mile away in 1889 to their present locale. When operational the Hunting Island Lighthouse was visible for 17 miles. Historic records from March 1890 note that the Light House was complete,"including one of the larger sized fire proof oil light houses." At the time of the 1893 Sea Islands Hurricane the Hunting Island Lighthouse functioned as a sanctuary for some passengers aboard the steamer "City of Savannah I" which had been forced onto the shoals.
The Light House continued operation until deactivation in 1933. As part of Hunting Island State Park, the tower remains open to the public. The tower is made mostly of brick with a cast iron shell. The conical tower is 136 feet tall with a second order, fresnel light (the original light is no longer lit and the lenses are at the base of the tower for the public to view). The top third of the tower is painted black and the lower two-thirds is painted white. A fog horn was not installed. The only sound signal is a large bell.
Currently, a rotating light is in place to mimic the original lamp in the lighthouse. It is turned on at dusk and rotates brightly through the night. While not bright enough for navigation, it provides night visitors to the island the feel of an operating lighthouse.


Related Merchandise... To find out more click the links below!

You Can  Now Copyright Credits
Contact Us usalights Store Shopping Center

View Shopping Cart